The Palakkad fort is also known as Tipu’s Fort (the son of Hyder Ali), is an old granite fort situated in the heart of Palakkad town of Kerala state. It was built by Haider Ali the mighty ruler of Mysore, in the year 1766 A.D. and remains one of the best preserved forts in Kerala.
The local ruler, Palakkad Achchan, was originally a tributary of the Zamorin, but had become independent before the beginning of the eighteenth century.In 1757 he sent a deputation to Haider Ali seeking help against an invasion threatened by the Zamorin. Haider Ali seized upon the opportunity to gain possession of a strategically important location’ such as Palghat. It was first taken by the British in 1768 when Colonel Wood captured it during his raid on Haider Alis’s fortresses, but it was retaken by Haider a few months later. It was recaptured by Colonel Fullarton in 1783, after a siege that lasted eleven days but was abandoned the following year. It later fell into the hands of the Zamorin’s troops. In 1790 it was finally captured by the British under Colonel Stuart. It was renovated and was used as a base for operations that ended with the storming of Srirangapatnam. The fort continued to be garrisoned until the middle of 19th century. Palakkad Fort, at present, is looked after by the Archaeological Survey of India.
Nearest railway station :Palakkad, about 1 km.
Nearest airports:Coimbatore Airport,about 60 kms.